Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Floyd Norman's advice to future story artists


Floyd Norman visited the Art Institute Inland Empire back in June and we had a great time. While we had a great Q & A Session, no one asked about becoming a story artist. I decided to ask Floyd Norman by email, "What does it take to be a great story artist for feature film?" Here's his answer.

That's a very good question you asked. I'm sorry that never came up in the questions. Here's the way I like to explain it.

I've spoken with many old timers at Disney and other studios, and all have the same opinion. You become a better artist by being a better informed artist. That is, learn as much as you can about everything you can. Study not just art, but literature, music, dance, history -- whatever.

I was speaking with Brad Bird recently, and he said that what you experience in life informs everything you do. You're a better director or story artist because you bring all you know to the table when making a film.

I studied music when I was a kid. Violin, clarinet and saxophone. I knew I would never become a great musician, but learning to read music turned out to be real asset when I found myself working on a movie and I was able to read the score.

I couldn't help but be aware that many of the Disney artists I admired were not just great artists. Many were knowable about many other things as well. Most had fascinating hobbies. Even Walt Disney tinkering with his little scale model locomotive in his home workshop eventually led to his creating Disneyland.

I think these things help you become a better story artist. Of course, you have to practice your craft. However, the more things you know and experience will help you do your job that much better.

1 comment: